In alignment with public health recommendations, the University is taking measures to help prevent community spread of COVID-19, which includes undertaking enhanced cleaning and disinfection procedures. The Custodial Department developed enhanced cleaning and disinfection procedures for Custodians to follow during the COVID-19 public health situation.
- FM custodians will clean common building spaces daily.
- FM will clean and disinfect high contact areas two times a day, such as washrooms, water fountains, doorknobs, handrails, tables, faucets, handles, railings, etc.
- FM will post a checklist displaying the date, time and the name of the employee who cleaned the facility.
- Practice good hand hygiene before and after cleaning (and always!):
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and warm water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Safety guidelines during cleaning and disinfection:
- Wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting. Gloves should be discarded after each use. Clean hands before gloves are put on and immediately after gloves are removed.
- Follow the directions on the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the products being used.
- Wear eye and/or face protection when there is a potential for splash or splatter to the face.
- Store chemicals in labeled, closed containers. Keep them in a secure area away from children and food. Store them in a manner that prevents tipping or spilling.
Cleaning and disinfection of surfaces:
- Clean surfaces and objects that are visibly soiled first. If surfaces are dirty to sight or touch, they should be cleaned using a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Clean and disinfect affected surfaces as soon as possible after a known exposure to person with respiratory symptoms (such as coughing/sneezing).
- Use an approved disinfectant for use against COVID-19. Refer to the list of products pre-approved for use against coronavirus.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe and effective use of all cleaning and disinfection products (e.g., dilution concentration, application method and contact time, required ventilation, and use of personal protective equipment). Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) to understand the potential health hazards and the recommended protective measures for the disinfectant being used.
- Health Canada-registered disinfectant for use against COVID-19 are effective for disinfection of hard, non-porous surfaces.
- When using the electrostatic sprayer for disinfection, the SOP for use of this unit shall be followed, including wearing required PPE. This electrostatic sprayer shall not be used when other people are present.
- For soft (porous) surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes:
- Remove visible contamination (if present) and clean with appropriate cleaners indicated for use on these surfaces.
- After cleaning, launder items (as appropriate) in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, launder items using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely.
- If laundering is not possible, use a Health Canada-registered disinfectant for use against COVID-19. Refer to the list of products pre-approved for use against emerging enveloped viral pathogens, or the list of disinfectants for use against SARS-CoV-2.
- If a COVID-19 case is confirmed in the StFX community, employees are required to follow the SOPs for Isolated Students.
Additional Cleaning of Work spaces
- All employees are responsible to ensure their personal work space is disinfected as required. Disinfecting wipes will be supplied by StFX for this purpose.
- Disinfecting wipes should NOT be used on electronics.
- Alcohol wipes should be used on electronics.
- For information on how to clean electronic products, contact ITS.
- All employees require WHMIS 2015 training to use controlled products, such as hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
- MIND YOUR WASTE! The small and large tubs of disinfecting wipes are refillable. Contact FM to have your tub refilled!