1. The membership of the Senate Steering Committee is as follows:
a) Chair of Senate (committee chair)
b) Immediate Past Chair of Senate
c) Secretary of Senate (committee secretary)
d) Academic Vice-President and Provost or designate (ex officio)
e) Students' Union Vice President (ex officio)
f) Two (2) faculty senators (one of whom is the vice-chair of Senate and the other is the vice- secretary of Senate) or their senator designates.
2. Rules for the election and tenure of elected members of the Steering Committee are defined in Article II.
Terms of Reference:
1. Prior to the first Senate meeting in October, the Committee will first determine and then promulgate its schedule of anticipated reports for the academic year (see Appendix 1).
2. The Committee seeks and prepares issues for Senate consideration according to the responsibilities of Senate that are specified in the University Bylaws.
3. The Committee prepares the agenda for Senate meetings and ensures that relevant background material is available to senators prior to meetings.
4. The Committee ensures that all Senate minutes and related documentation are adequately preserved and available to appropriate individuals.
5. The Committee communicates to the appropriate person action(s) required as a result of motions passed, and reports at least annually on progress attained.
6. The Committee reviews the responsibilities and procedures of Senate and the terms of reference of its committees, and, where appropriate, recommends changes to Senate.
7. The Committee provides each newly elected member of Senate with suitable introductory information.
8. The Committee meets at least once before each regularly scheduled Senate meeting. A quorum for each meeting is five and must include a representative from administration and a student. Committee members should arrange for a substitute who is a sitting senator to be present at committee meetings for which they are not available.
9. The Committee ensures that all Senate Committees are duly constituted each year and that Senate and Reporting committees adhere to the schedule for reporting to Senate.