I. For each faculty, there shall be a Committee on Studies composed of seven members. The faculties of Business and Education shall have a joint Committee on Studies – Professional Studies.
II. (a) Each Committee on Studies shall be composed of
(1) the Dean of faculty, ex officio;
(2) four members elected by their own faculty to serve three-year terms; and
(3) two students.
(1) The terms of the elected members shall be staggered so as to provide continuity of membership on the Committee.
(2) A Committee member who has just completed three years of service shall be ineligible for re-election until one year has elapsed.
III. The Executive Sub-committee of each Committee on Studies shall be comprised of the members of the Committee described above.
IV. Each Committee on Studies shall be the body responsible for the implementation of academic policies and regulations adopted by the Senate for its faculty.
V. (a) Specifically, each Committee
(1) shall be responsible for the material respecting its faculty to be included in the Academic Calendar;
(2) may recommend to the Senate requirements for admission to its faculty;
(3) may recommend to the Senate amendments to academic requirements of the University; and
(4) shall be an advisory body to the Dean in matters not specifically mentioned above.
(b) The Executive Sub-committee of each Committee on Studies shall
(1) have the power to approve exemptions from academic requirements when circumstances warrant it;
(2) recommend to the Faculty the candidates qualified for certificates, diplomas, and degrees in course;
VI. The Dean of each faculty shall preside at meetings of that faculty’s Committee on Studies and each Committee may appoint its Secretary.
VII. Meetings of each Committee on Studies may be called by the Dean, and shall be called upon the request of two members of the Committee.
VIII. (a) Joint meetings of Committees on Studies to deal with matters of common concern to the faculties shall be convoked by the Academic Vice-President & Provost; the Academic Vice-President & Provost shall designate a Chair pro tem for such meetings.
(b) Decisions or recommendations originating in such joint meetings of the Committees on Studies shall be reported to the appropriate bodies by the Academic Vice-President & Provost.
ELECTED BY: Faculty of Arts
DATE: Spring Meetings of Faculties
TERM: Three (3) years
NUMBER: Four (4) members