Why do I need a library card?
Your library card will allow you to:
- Borrow books and CDs
- Borrow readings from Course Reserves
- Borrow materials from other libraries
- Request items through Document Delivery
- Reserve study rooms
Who can get a library card?
All currently registered students, faculty, and staff at St. Francis Xavier University can use their StFX ID as their library card. This also includes retired faculty and staff.
Community Borrowers are members of the public over the age of 18, and a legal resident of Nova Scotia. Because they are not affilitated with StFX, Community Borrowers are not eligible to receive an official StFX ID card, but they can register for a free library account. A Community Borrower library card will be issued upon verification of residency and age.
Get a StFX ID Card
Visit the StFX Safety & Security Services office.
From a Distance:
Faculty, staff, graduate or undergraduate distance students not able to obtain an ID card in person can e-mail StFX Safety & Security Services at email@example.com. Please include:
- A high quality picture to be used on your ID card
- A scan of government issued photo ID
- Your StFX Student ID number
- Your current mailing address
- A request to have them e-mail you your Novanet number (barcode) right away
Activate Your Library Account
Once you have your Novanet number (barcode), we prefer you submit the appropriate online registration form from the options below to activate your account. In special circumstances, you can also register your account in-person at the Access Services Desk.
What other information do I need to register my library card?
- Permanent home address
- Permanent home phone number
- Local phone number
- StFX Email address
- Permanent Email address
- Community Borrowers: 2 official pieces of ID ( i.e. NS Driver's License, NS Health Card)
When will my card expire?
- Student library cards expire every year on September 30th.
- Please update your library card at the Access Services Desk at the beginning of September to maintain your borrowing privileges.
- If you get a new student ID, inform library staff as soon as possible so we can update your account.
- Library accounts expire five (5) years from the date they are issued.
- Please visit the Access Services Desk to update your account.
What if I lose my library card?
- Request a new student ID from StFX Security.
- Contact the library as soon as you have your new ID to update your barcode and personal information.
- Visit the Access Services desk to have a new card issued and your account updated.