- Ph.D. Carleton University
- B.Ed. Lakehead University
- B.A. Carleton University
Research Activites and Teaching Interests: Machiavelli; Marlowe; Shakespeare; Political Philosophy; Arabic Novel; Literary Theory; and Comparative Literature
I am a comparatist, so my interests are varied, as are my areas of research. Still, my strongest interests remain those with which I fell in love in my earliest days of study. I wrote my dissertation on Machiavelli, Marlowe, and Shakespeare, and I still work on these giants. My BA was in Political Science, with a concentration in Political Philosophy. I have never given up this seductive discipline.
I also specialize in Literary Theory, Theories of Influence and, of course, Comparative Literature. As a person of Lebanese descent, I have also taken the time to get to know the novel in Arabic.
Current Activities: I am preparing a critical edition of The Adventures of Brusanus, Prince of Hungaria (1592) by Barnabe Riche. This is a romance that the Bard used as a source for Measure for Measure. I am also writing a book on Machiavelli and his influence on Marlowe and Shakespeare.
- ENGL 491 Selected Topics: Shakespeare and Marlowe (2011-2012)
- ENGL 308 Milton and his Time
- ENGL 305 Later Elizabethan Renaissance
- ENGL 304 The Early Tudor and Elizabethan Renaissance
- ENGL 240 Literature of the Middle East
- ENGL 238 Shakespeare's Early Works
- ENGL 237 Shakespeare
- ENGL 100 Introductory Survey of Literature in English