EAP PROGRAM POLICIES (Additional class policies are provided in the course syllabus)
Students are required by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to carry valid health insurance at all times. EAP students will be automatically enrolled in a health insurance plan. You will make the payment for this and receive your insurance card during the first week of classes. The annual cost to you for insurance is currently around $1,080.
If your health insurance is being sponsored by a government or scholarship provider, or if you have coverage under the Nova Scotia provincial health plan (MSI), a copy of the policy or MSI card along with the opt-out form, must be provided to the Coordinator during the first week of classes to opt out of the health insurance provided by StFX.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Grades
Students in EAP5 are assessed a grade based on course work and exams. The grade issued to the student will be a pass (“P”) or fail (“F”) reflecting proficiency sufficient to advance to the next level (EAP6).
Students in EAP6 are also assessed a pass or fail grade. A grade of “P” is considered equivalent of IELTS 6.5 overall with no band below 6.0, for the purposes of admission to StFX.
Students registering in EAP5 or EAP6 will have to agree to the following program rules:
- I understand that the tuition fees and miscellaneous student fees (unless included in a scholarship) must be paid before the beginning of the course. Non-payment of these fees may result in my enrolment being cancelled.
- If I arrive more than one week after my course begins, I understand that I may not be permitted to enrol in the course.
- I agree to behave in a mature and respectful manner to university employees, instructors and fellow classmates at all times. I understand that bad behaviour can be grounds for dismissal, and that my parents may be notified of problems that are caused by my behaviour, if I am under 19 years old.
- I understand all EAP programs have a Classroom Language Policy which details appropriate and acceptable use of English and other languages in the classroom. I understand there may be academic consequences including penalties if I do not abide by this policy. The Classroom Language Policy is described in the EAP course outlines.
- I understand that if I do not make satisfactory academic progress, I may not be allowed to re-enrol in the next course.
- I understand that I must attend a minimum of 90% of all my classes, lectures and tutorials. If I do not maintain satisfactory attendance, I may not be allowed to re-enrol and my visa status would be jeopardised. I understand that being absent from class without proper cause and continual late arrival to class can be grounds for suspension or dismissal.
Program Completion Letter
A letter detailing achievement will be issued by the StFX Registrar’s Office no later than 30 days after the successful completion of the program.
The estimated cost of the EAP Program is approximately $11,900.00 from EAP5 through EAP6 (assuming successful completion of each level and no extra credited courses). Each course tuition is $4,300 (12-week courses) and ancillary fees (see detailed fee table), payable before the 1st day of class. Students will not be admitted to class until tuition is paid in full. GLOBALPAYSTFXLINK
NOTE: Students may be admitted to class on the first day if special arrangements for payment have been made with the Coordinator before the term starts.
Students must attend 90% of the total number of classes in the course in which they are currently enrolled to pass the course. In other words, students who have been absent more than 10% of the time, regardless of the circumstances, will receive a failure. There are no excused absences.
- Absent from 8:30 to 12:30 – ½ day absent
- Absent for 1:30 to 3:30 – ½ day absent
- Late arrival (up to an hour) in the morning, after a break, or after the lunch hour – ¼ day absent
- Early departure (up to an hour) – ¼ day absent
- Late arrivals or early departures of more than an hour -- ½ day absent
If a student’s attendance drops to 92%, they will be required to meet with the Head Teacher. If a student’s attendance then drops to 90%, they will be asked to leave the course. If there are extenuating circumstances related to the absences, students may appeal to the Coordinator. The Coordinator’s decision is final.
EAP Course Cancellation & Refund Policy
1) Refused Entrance to Canada:
If a student is refused entry to Canada by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, the student will receive a full refund of any tuition fees that have been paid. There will be no refund of the StFX application fee. To obtain a refund of any tuition fees under these circumstances, the student must write to the Learning Skills Coordinator, StFX University (email@example.com). The request must include a copy of the letter of refusal from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
2) Student Cancellation / Dismissal
Any correspondence concerning attendance and/or cancellation in EAP courses at StFX must be in writing to the Learning Skills Coordinator, StFX University (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If a student has received permission to enter Canada to study and cancels in writing before the first day of the course designated in his/her acceptance letter, StFX University will refund the tuition fee minus a $400 processing charge. There will be no refund of the StFX application charge.
- If a student cancels in writing under any of the following circumstances:
- after arriving in Canada with a valid study permit or temporary visitors’ visa; and/or
- is asked to leave after the first course (and any subsequent course) begins;
StFX University will issue a refund (or not) as follows:
Less than 10% of course completed
Total fees paid minus 50%
10-30% of course completed
Total fees paid minus 70%
More than 30% of course completed
There will be no refund of the application charge.
- If a new student or a returning student fails to cancel in writing and he / she has a valid study permit or temporary visitors’ visa, StFX will move to collect any tuition fees that are due according to the schedule outlined above.
Any Refunds Due:
Students will receive any refund due to them within 30 days of StFX University receiving written notice of cancellation from them or a notice of dismissal.
Payment through an Agent:
Students who enroll or pay through an agent and a granted a refund will receive that refund through their agent.
Language School Act
- The student contract is subject to the Act and Regulations made under the Act, together with information on how to access the laws:
StFX EAP Program Agreements shall be interpreted by the laws of the Province of Nova Scotia and the parties hereby accept the jurisdiction of the courts of that Province in resolving any disputes I understand that I am expected to adhere to all the terms stated above. I also understand that if I do not, I may be sent back to my home country immediately at my own expense.
Back to Top