STUDENT SUCCESS CENTRE FAQS
Appointments are free to any student currently registered at StFX. To book an appointment please click here
You must bring a paper copy of your writing and the assignment sheet. If you do not cancel your appointment prior to the appointment time and you fail to show, your absence is counted as a no show. Please note that WConline accounts are disabled and a $10 fine applied to your student account after a no show.
Why make an appointment?
- To quash procrastination
- To brainstorm a topic
- To develop an outline
- To receive feedback on a draft
- To learn to integrate source material appropriately
- To become familiar with referencing styles
- To develop revision strategies
- To improve grammar
Before an Appointment
- Plan ahead. Allow yourself ample time to make revisions after leaving your Student Success Centre appointment.
- Bring a copy of the assignment guidelines and assignment; instructors do not print or work on electronic versions.
- Check your course syllabus, course Web site, or with your professor for further details.
- Know what type of documentation you must use (APA, MLA - parenthetical, footnotes or endnotes, other).
- If possible, bring in graded copies of previous writing assignments/papers. Reviewing such samples helps instructors identify your writing strengths and weaknesses.
During an Appointment
- Instructors can offer suggestions on your overall writing skills; however, you are responsible for all final revisions to your work.
- Maximize your time by asking the instructor to work with you on your biggest problem areas.
- You may struggle with overall structure, writing introductions and conclusions or with a specific aspect of grammar; an instructor can focus on specific components of a writing assignment.
- Prioritize your writing concerns; appointments are limited to 45 minutes.
Consider your strengths and weaknesses:
- Getting Started
- Referencing styles
Remember…We know it’s just a draft!