The Sociology Department regularly hires students as Teaching Assistants and Research Assistants. The job opportunities are first offered to honours students in the department. For further information, contact individual professors, the Chair, or the administrative assistant.
Job Posting - Summer Student Research Assistant
Department of Sociology
St. Francis Xavier University
Hours of work: 35 hours/week for 8 weeks. The work terms for this position are:
Duration: July 2, 2019 – August 26, 2019
Schedule: Monday – Friday from 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-5:00.
Hourly rate: $13.00/hour
The research assistant will receive training, direction and supervision to accomplish the following:
- Produce a written record of audio recorded data using a transcription software.
- Update RefWorks files with references.
- Assist with data review and management, and perhaps data analysis.
- Related tasks.
The research assistant will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement prior to commencing work and
work on campus with supervision from support staff and the faculty member.
In accordance with the Canada Summer Jobs program, to be eligible to hold this summer job, you must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to returnto school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has beenconferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislationand regulations
If you are selected for an interview, documentation regarding eligibility status will be requred. StFX respects
diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons,
persons with disabilities, and members of sexual minority groups. Because this project focuses on refugee
resettlement, a student who came to Canada under the refugee protection act will be given priority. Students
studying at St. Francis Xavier University will be given priority over students at other qualifying institutions.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sumbit your resumé to: Dr. Norine Verberg at email@example.com