BENEFITS OF SERVICE LEARNING
Service Learning benefits all of the partners, students, community and the university.
Some of the benefits are listed below.
- Engages students in self-directed active learning.
- Offers opportunities to use critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Broadens personal awareness of community and community organizations
- Increases understanding of community development
- Gives opportunity to contribute to the community
- Promotes reflection on issues of social responsibility
- Assist in career exploration
- Fosters collaboration between university and community
- Extends campus academic and human resources into the community
- Raises the profile of community groups
- Adds students perspective to the delivery of social programs
- Increases the potential for more knowledgeable future employees
- Brings energy and enthusiasm to existing programming
- Encourages innovation in teaching practices
- Enriches the teaching and learning process
- Brings an added dimension to classroom discussion
- Provides diversity of learning opportunities for students
- Communities serve as an alternative learning setting
- Provides an avenue to university-community research partnerships
- Strengthen community-university relation