Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Student Course Evaluations –Revised Membership and Mandate
- Four faculty members representing each of the Faculties appointed by Senate on the recommendation of the Committee on Nominations
- Director of Continuing Education, or delegate (non-voting)
- One nurse educator
- Chair of the Student Evaluation for Lab Instructors Committee
- Two undergraduate students, appointed by the StFX Student Union
- Research Analyst, Office of Institutional Research, Secretary of Committee (non-voting)
- Registrar, Chair of Committee (non-voting)
2. Governing Procedures
- The Committee shall meet at least twice a semester.
- A quorum shall be six members.
The mandate of the Senate Ad Hoc Committee for Student Evaluations is to review all aspects of the student course evaluation process at StFX to ensure that all courses, and components of those courses, have a recognized procedure for which to be evaluated. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- A review of the course evaluation questions and their relevancy;
- Course evaluations for labs;
- Course evaluations for nurse educators;
- Timing of evaluations and the length of time the evaluation is open;
- Evaluation process for 6-credit and team-taught courses;
- Process for evaluating courses with low enrolment;
- The structure of the course evaluation reports with particular focus on the treatment of interdisciplinary courses;
- Process to align courses end dates in Banner to actual course end dates to facilitate evaluation; and
- Participation rates and student engagement.
Outside the purview of this Committee is the tool used to conduct course evaluations and the method (paper vs. online) by which they are conducted.
This Committee shall report and make recommendations to Senate relating to the course evaluation process.