1. The Committee on Honorary Degrees is a Standing Committee of Senate.
2. The Committee shall be composed of four (4) members, two (2) of whom shall be elected by the Senate, the third appointed by the President, and the fourth, a student, appointed by the President following consultation with the President of the Students’ Union.
3. The Committee shall appoint its own Chair.
Terms of Reference:
1. This Committee shall receive names of persons proposed as candidates for Honorary Degrees, and shall present to Senate a roster of candidates for Honorary Degrees to be awarded, at general or special convocations.
2. Senate shall have the opportunity to consider all candidates proposed by the Committee before proceeding to vote on any one of these candidates.
3. Senate will normally consider candidates for Honorary Degrees only if:
a) advance notice is given to members of Senate that this topic is to be considered, and
b) curriculum vitae for each nominee for an Honorary degree is available to members of Senate at least one-half hour in advance of the relevant Senate meeting.
4. Any name duly submitted to the Committee may be included in the review by Senate even though the Committee may not have included it in its list of candidates.
5. Any member of the Senate may nominate for a ballot for an Honorary Degree, any name properly submitted to the Committee, even though the person named has not received the recommendation of the Committee.
6. A separate ballot shall be taken for each candidate, with a two-thirds majority required for approval.
REPORT To the University Senate as required; generally last day of February for May Convocation and September meeting for Fall Convocation.
TERM: Two (2) years
NUMBER: Two (2) members