The Biosafety Committee reports to the Academic Vice-President.
The Committee is mandated to:
1. Offer advice on the safe use of bio-hazardous materials;
2. Ensure adherence to the Government of Canada’s Canadian Biosafety Standards and Guidelines, and to the National Institutes of Health NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules.
The Biosafety Committee members are appointed by the Academic Vice-President in consultation with the appropriate Dean(s) of Faculty. The Committee membership shall be appointed as follows:
1. One Faculty member from each building in which bio-hazardous materials are used;
2. One Science Faculty member who is a non-user and who Chairs the Committee;
3. The University Biosafety Officer;
4. The University Health and Safety Officer.
Members shall be appointed such that the Committee has a broad range of expertise in many types of bio-hazardous materials, techniques and procedures utilizing these materials and infection control.
The term of office for all members shall be three years with the exception of the Biosafety Officer and the Health and Safety Officer who shall be permanent ex-officio members of the Committee. The University Biosafety Officer may not serve as Chair.
The Committee shall meet twice per year or as frequently as required to fulfill the responsibilities of the Committee. Minutes shall be recorded and distributed to members, the Academic Vice-President, the Associate Vice-President Research and the appropriate Dean(s) of Faculty.