The information provided below is to help students at a distance from StFX successfully access and navigate the appropriate library resources to complete their coursework or research. The StFX Library offers the following support to distance and continuing education students to help them reach this goal:
- Advice on library procedures
- Help with problems involving library cards
- Instruction on how to do literature searches
- Assistance with accessing difficult-to-locate material
Services listed above will be provided by:
Reference Department: Contact email@example.com or call 902-867-2242.
Librarians are available at select times to teach you how to find sources and help expand or focus your search.
Outside of regular Reference Desk hours, you can also speak with a Librarian through our Live Help Chat Service
Access Services: For inquiries about your library account, contact the Access Services Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902-867-2228.
Document Delivery Services: Contact email@example.com
- IT Services: If you need assistance with your webFX credentials or any other technology related isue, please contact IT Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting Your Research From a Distance
Searching for Print and Online Sources:
- Visit the library website: library.stfx.ca
- Searching for books: Use our Novanet discovery platform or Google Scholar from the Library's main search box. Remember to check our E-Books for content that may be relevant to your research interests.
- Searching for articles: From the Electronic Resources list select your database of choice; e.g. Proquest
- If unsure of which database to select go to the list of Subject Guides and select your subject. The subject guide will provide a list of relevant databases to start with. Here is a list of some appropriate databases for education research
- If you don't have your webFX credentials or your password has expired, visit the IT Services website: or contact them at email@example.com
- Create/Update Your Library Account:
- Your StFX ID also serves as your library card. This card identifies you as a student at STFX and provides you with borrowing privileges within Nova Scotia in the event that you need to use Document Delivery Services for an item which you cannot directly access.
- If you are a distance student who cannot come to STFX to get an official STFX ID, please follow the instructions on how to obtain one from a distance on our Registration page. If you already have your ID, please click here to begin your registration.
- How do I log in to my library account? View Video
- Document Delivery:
- If your selected article is not full-text or you wish to borrow a physical book from the Novanet catalogue, use the Document Delivery Form to request the item which will be sent to you within a relatively short time and as long as it can be located.
- There are two numbers you must keep in mind to successfully complete a Document Delivery transaction: the 14-digit number at the bottom of your picture id which starts with 2199300 (that number is your library ID), and the last four digits of the home phone number you provided at the time of your library registration library. For more information, visit the Document Delivery for Distance Students website.
- CAUL Card:
- BARA: Borrow Anywhere Return Anywhere:
- In Nova Scotia, you can borrow or return books from and to any public, academic or community college library. If you are in NS, please make use of this service as often as you can to locate and return your items in a timely manner.