How do I borrow books or CDs?
- To borrow books, take the items to the Access Services Desk and present your library card or valid student ID. The Access Services Desk is located on the first floor immediately in front of you as you enter the library's front doors.
- CDs can be checked out from the Music/AV/Microform Room which is located on the 3rd floor, or at the Access Services Desk when the Music/AV/Microform Room is not staffed.
Loan periods depend on the type of material as well as the status of the card holder.
|Books||A/V||Bound Journals||Current Serials||Course Reserves|
|Undergraduate||3 weeks||3 days||In Library Use Only||In Library Use Only||Variable|
|Graduate||Term||3 days||In Library Use Only||In Library Use Only||Variable|
|Faculty||Term||Variable||Up to 1 week||Up to 1 week||Variable|
|Staff||3 weeks||3 days||In Library Use Only||In Library Use Only||Variable|
|Off-Campus Borrower||3 weeks||In Library Use Only||In Library Use Only||In Library Use Only||Variable|
- The table above represents the majority of our collection, however certain items and/or collections may have different borrowing periods. Please ask staff for details.
- Term loans expire on January 30th (Fall semester), May 30th (Winter semester) and September 30th (Spring/Summer semester).
- Items held in the Course Reserves collection have borrowing periods set by the course instructor, generally 3-hour (In Library Use Only), 1-day or 3-days.
- Select items from our Celtic Collection can be borrowed, but cannot be taken out of the library. These items will be held under your name at the Access Services Desk for the asssigned borrowing period.
- Items that qualify for a renewal can generally be renewed up to 3 times.
- Items brought in from outside of the Novanet group of libraries must be renewed by contacting email@example.com.
- If the book or CD you borrowed qualifies for renewal, you can:
- Renew the item in person at the Access Services Desk, or
- Renew the item online by logging in to your library account:
- Go to library.stfx.ca
- Click on the My Account tile
- Enter your library account credentials
- Click on the Loans menu
- Choose the renew all option near the top or renew items individually by choosing the renew option on the right side of each record
- An item does NOT qualify for renewal if:
- It is already overdue (please bring item to library and ask for a renewal)
- There are limitations on its borrowing period
- You have already renewed the loan three times
- Your account has been suspended
- It is requested by another patron