Challenging a Prior Work Experience as a Co-op Work Term: New Undergraduate Co-op Students
NOTE: At the time of application to the Co-op Program, undergraduate students must indicate if they will be challenging prior work experience as a Co-op work term. PLAR documentation is due by September 15. Challenging a Prior Work Experience is only available to new co-op applications. Current students enrolled in the Co-op program are not eligible to challenge a prior work experience as a co-op work term. Masters of Applied Computer Science and Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Enterprise IT Management cannot challenge a prior work experience as a co-op work term.
Work Experience Requirements
When considering whether or not to challenge prior work experience as a co-op work term, consider if your prior work experience meets the following requirements.
- The work paid a minimum $12.55/hr (NS minimum wage as of spring 2020)
- The work was supervised
- The work helped you establish and achieve your career goals
- The work lasted for a minimum of 13 consecutive weeks (full-time employment, minimum 35 hrs/wk)
- The work was relevant to your academic program
- The work experience must have occurred within the last two years and before the date, the student was accepted into the Co-op Program.
New Co-op Students (May 2020 intake) interested in challenging their summer 2020 work experience as co-op must submit the documentation to the Co-op office by September 15. The Co-op office will review this documentation in September after the deadline.
- Evidence employment. Include a signed letter from the employer indicating start/end date, hours per week, salary, and job title.
- A detailed job description that outlines the duties of the position.
- Supervisor contact information. A co-op staff member will contact your supervisor to solicit feedback on your performance during your work period of employment
- Five Learning Objectives
- Reflective Essay
- Student Performance Evaluation (End of Work)
- E-Portfolio Assignment (asked the Co-op Office for the document)