International Students


We encourage international students to participate in the Co-op experience. However, after being accepted into the Co-op program, international students are required to have a co-op work permit in addition to their study permit prior to applying for any co-op jobs. For more information on work permit application process visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website

Note: Co-op work permit applications processing times can be lengthy. Students are encouraged to start the process immediately after being accepted into the Co-op program. Co-op Students should visit CIC's website the most up-to-date information. 

In addition to the co-op work permit, students will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. For more information, please visit the Government of Canada's website. Students can apply for their SIN after being accepted into the Co-op Program. 


Other Resources 

StFX International Student Office

Post-graduation Work Permit 

Permanent Residency Express Entry