Canada Student Grant Terms (Conditions/Provisos)
We have posted this section because students need to know that only the student, and no-one else, is responsible for, and will be held accountable for, managing and reporting on this grant. The student applies for the grant, the student signs the Declaration that binds their actions with regard to the grant, and the student manages their grant funds. By "manage" we mean that the student must provide receipts showing how grant funds were used and must send back unused grant funds.
We can definitely help you to apply for and manage a grant: People work in support positions like ours in offices in almost every university and college in Canada. We can provide advice and support but, at the end of the year, we are not responsible for reporting on your grant. And we use the word responsible in a strict legal sense, we won't be accountable if you do not comply with the stipulations of the grant contract that you sign. The student who signs the contract is solely responsible for managing the grant and for meeting the reporting requirements laid down in the contract they sign.
The Grant application process can be very confusing: Staff in our Centre have a lot of experience helping students to apply for and manage grants. We are familiar with the forms, and the reporting processes, and can really help you handle the whole process smoothly. At the end of the semester, if you do not "reconcile" or complete the final report on your grant you, not us, will be held accountable. Our intense involvement at the beginning of the process might lead you to think that the school or staff in some way controls the grant process - so you need to pay attention and make sure that you control the grant agenda. If you are getting help with any aspect of applying for or managing the grant then make sure that you take the lead in that process so that you meet all the deadlines you wil be required to meet.
The Contract: When you apply for a Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities you should definitely read the fine details of the contract you sign so that you are fully aware of the legal obligations to which you are committing yourself. The Student Declaration on the Ontario Grant Application uses words that are used in Canada Student Grant Contracts in all provinces and territories and we have copied those words below so you can refer to them from time to time to be completely clear about your responsibilities. We have highlighted some key parts of that contract but suggest you read and be knowledgeable about the details of the whole contract:
Student Declaration (copied from 2017-2018 Contract pages 6 and 7 of the Ontario Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities)
• I require BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding for the cost of the disability-related services and/or equipment identified on this application, and I will not receive financial assistance from any other source to cover these costs.
• I understand that I must use the BSWD/CSG-PDSE I receive for the equipment and/or services identified on this application and that I cannot substitute for any other equipment and/or services not identified on this application.
• I agree that I will provide receipts for equipment and software no later than 30 days after being issued BSWD/CSG-PDSE funds, and I agree that I will provide receipts for services no later than 30 days after the end of my OSAP study period. I will submit these receipts to my postsecondary school’s Financial Aid Office or to the ministry, as instructed in the “Where to Send Your Application” section of this application form, and will show that BSWD/CSG-PDSE funds were spent for their approved purposes.
• I agree that if I do not submit receipts, I will repay, by money order or certified cheque to my school’s Financial Aid Office or to the Minister of Finance, any BSWD/CSG-PDSE funds that I have not used for the OSAP study period identified on this application. I understand that failure to do so may result in being restricted from receiving OSAP, including BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding.
• I understand that I may be required to repay all or part of the BSWD/CSG-PDSE funds if the information and any supporting documentation I provide in connection with this application is found to be inaccurate or if any information I provide changes, including my OSAP study period and/or my course load.
• I understand that information I provide in connection with this application will be verified and audited and any change resulting from verification and audit may affect my eligibility for and the amount of BSWD/CSG-PDSE funds provided to me, and that I may be required to repay all or a part of the BSWD/CSGPDSE funds.
• I have given complete and true information on this application form and I understand that if I fail to provide complete and true information and/or fail to promptly notify my Financial Aid Office or the ministry through my account on the OSAP website or in writing of changes to any information I have provided, including my disability and the services and equipment I need, my address and/or financial, academic, family, and/or OSAP study period status; or fail to fulfil any obligations respecting the repayment of any overpayments, the ministry may restrict me from receiving OSAP, including BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding, and may take legal action and may require me to repay any assistance that I received.
IN CONCLUSION: We cannot stress enough how important it will be for you, the student, to pay attention to the details of your Grant contract. In Ontario, for example, and this is not explained very well on their Contract, your file is sent to a collection agency if you do not report on how you use your grant, if you do not send in receipts, if you do not send back the unused portion of your grant. The Collection Agency will ask you to pay back the entire grant - whether or not you used it. If you do not reconcile your account, your credit rating will be affected and your eligibility for a Canada Student Loan will be removed. To avoid all that we strongly encourage you to take the time to learn about your responsibilities - please take care to report on your grant and send back the unused portion of your grant. We are here to help you with the application and reporting processes but we cannot be accountable if you don't report. We aren't accountable because we don't sign the contract.