Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a pair?
A pair is 12 credits in one subject, with at least six credits at the 200-level or higher (no more than 6 credits at the 100-level).  As exceptions, language pairs in French, Celtic Studies, and Classics may be composed of 12 credits at the 100-level.  A student is not permitted to complete a pair in the major, honours, or minor subject, and may complete only one pair from a department (with the exception of the Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science department, from which a student may complete both a MATH and a CSCI pair).

  • A pair may not be completed in any of the following professional or applied program disciplines:  Aquatic Resources (AQUA), Business Administration (BSAD), Engineering (ENGR), Human Kinetics (HKIN), Human Nutrition (HNU), or Nursing (NURS).
  • A pair is not necessarily 2 courses:  A pair could be comprised of two 6-credit courses; four 3-credit courses; or one 6-credit course plus two 3-credit courses.

2. How do I transfer a course from another school?
If you wish to take a course at another institution, for transfer back to your StFX degree, you MUST obtain written permission PRIOR to taking the course.  This permission is granted through a specific form called a "Letter of Permission".  Failure to obtain an approved Letter of Permission prior to taking a course at another school will result in denial of transfer for that course.  (This requirement also pertains to students wanting to use the French Explore program, or any other language immersion program, for credit toward their degrees.)

The Letter of Permission form is found in your mesAMIS account, in the list of online forms, and is submitted electronically online.  When you submit your "LOP", ensure that a confirmation window pops up on your computer screen.  If you do not receive a confirmation pop-up, the submission did not go through and you will need to resubmit it.  (Sometimes the form "times out".)  The LOP is sent electronically to a dedicated email account in Academic Advising, lop@stfx.ca.

After submitting your Letter of Permission, you should send a follow-up email to lop@stfx.ca outlining your reason for wanting to take the course(s) at another institutiuon.  In that email, you should also include the course description (and course outline or syllabus, when available), or a link to those resources, for each course you wish to transfer.

The picture below shows a portion of the one-page Letter of Permission form.


Once submitted, the dean of your faculty will review your request.  You will be notified of the decision through your StFX e-mail account, and approved forms will be sent to you as a pdf document.  Letters of Permission are approved for valid reasons, but not all requests are granted.

Once your LOP has been approved, you will need to apply to the host university as a “visiting student” (the term most commonly used, but some universities use other terms).  Be sure NOT to apply as a transfer or degree student.  Once admitted as a student, you will need to register in whatever manner the host institution requires.  Be aware that many universities allow their own degree students to register before any visiting or non-degree students, so a course in which you're interested may not always be available to you.  Approval of your Letter of Permission request does not guarantee your registration into the course(s) at the host institution.

An approved Letter of Permission gives you the assurance that StFX will accept that course for credit toward your degree.  Most universities also require a copy of the form.  Some universities may have other requirements for admission, such as an official copy of your StFX transcript, but many simply require an admission form, the application fee, and your approved Letter of Permission.

Once the course is completed you will need to order an official transcript from the host university, to be sent directly to the StFX Registrar’s Office.  The credit will be granted to you upon receipt of the transcript showing you have passed the course and have been granted credit at the host institution.

PLEASE NOTE: StFX does not represent the grades of other institutions on its official transcripts. The StFX transcript only indicates that credit has been granted from the other school.  If you apply to another university in the future, you will be required to submit to that institution official transcripts directly from every post-secondary institution at which you were registered in the past (even those from which you took only one or two courses).  With those official transcripts, the new university will be able to assess all of your past academic work.

3. How do I make an appointment? Can I just drop in?
The Academic Advising and International Exchange offices have an online appointment booking system through WCOnline.  This means students are able to see advisor availability and book their own appointments.

  • Visit https://stfx.mywconline.com/
  • Create a profile (if you haven’t already done so).
  • Select the Academic Advising schedule for an appointment with an academic advisor. (It should come up automatically.)  If you want to meet to discuss international exchange, choose the relevant option from the drop-down menu to book an appointment with the International Exchange Coordinator.
  • Locate the name of the advisor you would like to see.  Availability is indicated by white spaces.  Click on the white space of a time that is convenient for you and enter the information for your appointment.  You can book a 30-minute or a 60-minute appointment.
  • Note that all advisors can assist with all undergraduate programs.

If you would prefer just to drop in, walk-in times are available for Academic Advising on Wednesday mornings from 9:00 - 11:30 am and on Friday afternoons from 1:00 - 4:00 pm.  These walk-in times are open for both locations, Nicholson Hall Tower Room 207 and Schwartz Room 362.

4. How do I declare my major?
Second-year students are required to declare their majors by the end of March.  (Students in the BSc in Nursing and the BSc in Human Nutrition are not required to do so unless they intend to apply for an advanced major or honours degree option.  Students in the Diploma in Engineering do not declare a major.)

First-year students in the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science degrees are strongly encouraged to declare their major by the end of March if they have decided on their major subject. First-year students wishing to declare an advanced major or honours are encouraged to declare a major in their first year and then apply for the advanced major or hounours in March of their second year.

To declare your major, or to apply for an advanced major or honours program, you must complete a declaration form.  The forms are available online at the following links, on the website of your faculty's dean.

Faculty of Arts:  declaration forms
Faculty of Business:  declaration forms  
Faculty of Science (includes all Human Kinetics):  declaration forms

  1. Read the Academic Calendar:  The relevant chapter for your faculty outlines the various degrees available (for example, major, advanced major, honours).  Chapter 4 is Faculty of Arts; Chapter 5 is Faculty of Business; Chapter 7 is Faculty of Science. Chapter 9 is sectioned alphabetically by departments and programs. Read your faculty chapter, and consult the relevant section(s) of Chapter 9 for course requirements for your intended program, major, and minor (where applicable).
  2. Print the declaration form, and your grade report from mesAMIS:  Declaration forms are found at the links above.
  3. Fill out the declaration form:  List the courses you have already completed, those in which you are currently registered, and those that you plan to complete in future years.  Ensure that your proposed courses fulfill the various requirements for your degree, including all requirements for relevant major(s) or minor (where applicable), and any concentrations that you wish to pursue (where applicable).
  4. Make an appointment with the department chair/faculty advisor:  The chair or coordinator (or a designated faculty advisor) of your intended major or honours subject(s) will need to approve your declaration form.  You can ask questions about your program and about your proposed course list when you meet with that faculty member.
  5. A list of department chairs can be found here.  This information can also be accessed through the Registrar's Office site.
  6. Submit the declaration form:  Declaration forms that have been approved by the department chair (or designate) are then to be submitted to the appropriate Dean’s Office for final approval.  In some departments, the chair will retain the forms and send them to the Dean's Office on your behalf.  In other cases, the chair will give you the form after approving it, and it is your responsibility to submit that form to your Dean's Office.

You must be prepared and have the declaration form completed prior to meeting with the department representative.  Be sure to complete this official form in INK.

5. Thinking of dropping a course?
If you are feeling like you are not able to recover from a failing midterm or assignment, you are not alone. However, we want you to know that there may be options and additional considerations before you make it official and drop the course.
Before you drop a course:
1.    Talk to your professor, they are there to help.
2.    Do the math; it may still be possible to recover. Perhaps this midterm or assignment is only worth 10% of your final grade. Review your syllabus and insert the valuations you have.
For example:
   From a sample Syllabus
   Participation 10%
   Quizzes (3) 30%
   Term Paper 20%
   EXAM    40%
Your grades
   Participation ?/10
   Quizzes (3) = 14.3/30
        a.    36/100
        b.    59/100
        c.    48/100
   Term Paper 10/20
   EXAM    ?/40
•    If you assume 5/10 for participation, you need to achieve 20.7/40 or 51.75%on the final exam to pass with a 50 for the course. Do you still want to drop?
3.    Are there other academic implications?
      a.    Is this course a pre-requisite for a course you need to take next year? If so, have you discussed options with Academic Advising?
      b.    Is this a course required for your program? (example: progression requirement)
      c.    Would dropping the course prevent you from continuing in your program?
      d.    Dropping a course could put you slightly off track, what are your plans to pick up a replacement?
4.    Are there financial implications?
Do you have a scholarship or external funding that may require registration in a minimum number of credits?
•    Have questions about StFX Scholarships? Contact scholarships@stfx.ca
•    Have questions about student loan funding? Contact financialaid@stfx.ca